Monthly Archives: January 2016
Basketball is one of the most popular sports in the world and one of the most widely viewed. It is a team sport that involves two teams of five active players each trying to score points against one another by throwing a ball through a 300 cm (10 feet) high hoop (the ‘basket’) under organised rules. It is played on both indoor and outdoor courts.
The size of the court, height of the basket, size of the basketball, and length of time that the game is played, can all vary according to the age, size and skill level of players.
Basketball is a fast moving game that involves a lot of variety, including shooting, dribbling, passing, rebounding, defence and much more.
Health benefits of basketball
Basketball involves a lot of starting and stopping. While not renowned as an aerobic sport, it is still a great workout that can help you:
- burn calories (an hour of basketball can burn 630–750 calories)
- build endurance
- improve balance and coordination
- develop concentration and self-discipline
- build up muscle.
Other benefits of basketball
As well as being a great way to stay fit, basketball can also:
- help you to make new friends and see them regularly teach you about being a good team player
- be played by people of all ages and all abilities
- be played all year round because it’s usually an indoor sport
- be a fun game that kids of all levels and ages can enjoy
- be practiced alone – all you need is a ball and a hoop (and you can find a hoop in most local parks and school grounds)
- be played and enjoyed with as few as two people (although official games require 10 players).
Getting started with basketball
Although official games of basketball require 10 players, you can play a game of basketball with just one other person. You can also go out and shoot baskets by yourself. If you want to play basketball competitively, you can become a member of a team and get involved in local competition. Check out your local sports centres and associations for information on how to join a team, or start your own.
One of the great things about the game is that apart from having a basketball, you require very little other equipment to play. However, as basketball involves a lot of running and jumping, it can also be wise to have:
- basketball or sports shoes that provide good ankle support
- mouth guards
- protective knee and elbow pads.
Basketball and children
Basketball is a great way for kids to get active and have fun. ‘Aussie hoops’ is a national introductory basketball program for primary school children, started by Basketball Australia and the Australian Sports Commission. It provides primary school girls and boys of all ages, abilities and skill levels, with the opportunity to play basketball and develop sport and social skills in a safe environment.
- Strength training: Basketball provides an excellent full-body workout and can help develop useful, lean muscle. In this physically intensive contact sport, basketball players are highly reliant on effective body positioning and the ability to maintain that position when an opponent is pushing against him. Playing good defensive basketball can develop your deltoids, traps, neck, lower back and core muscles. Strong legs aid in shooting and running, while the finer movements such as dribbling and shooting are good for strengthening your arms, wrist flexors and hand muscles.
- Improves spatial awareness: Spatial awareness is knowing where your body is in space and time. Ever wonder why a cat always lands on its feet? Body awareness. It helps keep you in balance.
- Mental development: Basketball requires a wide range of physical skills, but it is also a fast-paced mental game. Research on the mental aspects of basketball has revealed that players must develop a great deal of attention to quickly and accurately process what’s happening on the court and make effective decisions with the ball and on defense. During a fast-paced game, you must train yourself to constantly observe your teammates and opponents and evaluate what course of action to take in response to their actions. This can translate to helping you make quick decisions on the job and in other real-life situations.
- Reduces stress and boosts the immune system: Decreasing your stress will help you focus and have more energy to complete tasks. Playing basketball and other sports helps reduce stress and gives players the opportunity to socialize. People who are social are less likely to have depression, and also tend to have a stronger immune system.
- Enhances confidence: Basketball truly improves anyone’s confidence. Making good shots and being a part of a good team can increase your self-esteem and help gain more confidence. A confident person has more faith in his or her skills and can face life with a better disposition.
- Burns calories: Running, jumping and quick lateral movements done in basketball provide a significant amount of aerobic exercise and can burn a great deal of calories. For each hour of competitive basketball, a 165-pound person can expect to burn around 600 calories, while a 250-pound person can burn up to 900 calories.
- Great for cardiovascular health: Basketball can help you develop cardiovascular endurance, depending on how many times play stops. Keep moving and you’ll keep your heart rate up. Building endurance can help keep your heart healthy, reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke later in life.
- Develops concentration and self-discipline: Like every other sport, basketball has rules to follow, and breaking them can result in penalties not just for you, but for your team. Practicing self-discipline helps one become more competitive yet fair and clean in their game and focused in succeeding.
- Builds bone strength: Jumping and other physical demands of basketball help develop and improve bone health. The stronger your bones, the less likely they are to break. Weight-bearing physical activity causes new bone tissue to form, making bones stronger. Bones and muscles both become stronger when muscles push and tug against bones during physical activity.
Longboarding is the sport of riding a longboard, a skateboard variant related to a surfboard or snowboard. Longboard skaters use their boards for cruising, racing, transportation and stunts. Some skaters would say it is addictive. But the element of fun that longboarding provides keep its participants engaged and motivated. This is a key ingredient to long-term success with any fitness regimen. Actually enjoying your workout makes it far more likely that you will stick with it.
Like all board sports, longboarding has its origins in surfing. During the 1950s, board skating was seen as a single sport. By the 1990s, it had branched off into two separate disciplines: skateboarding and longboarding. Unlike skateboarding, which focuses primarily on hills and grades, longboarding also involves significant cruising, or level travel. In addition to simply being enjoyable, longboarding is a challenging form of exercise, and it has many health benefits.
Cardiovascular conditioning is one of the most prominent health benefits of longboarding. As cardio sports, boardsports are a good way to get a regular dose of aerobic activity, strengthening your heart and increasing your lung capacity. Skaters who push themselves around on a longboard, across flat terrain or up steep hills, get an excellent cardiovascular workout. Longboarding regularly can help you build impressive levels of stamina.
Benefit that you can take of longboarding:
Most of the people face a common problem is an extra fat or weight in the body. Longboarding is a popular form of exercise, which gives you the option to make your daily exercise with fewer efforts and great enjoyment. No need huge space to play a board, but the backyard of your house is sufficient to practice this popular fun making trick. You can use a longboard as your daily commuter to go to your office or school, college or any other place working place.
Its ensure passing a long way by pressing little efforts. You have to push to run the board and keep pushing on the surface by your leg to accelerate the speed. Those hard pushing losses your energy and makes weight loss. If you are really heavy weight, then these popular tricks will help you to become sound healthy and fit.
Check out Best Longboards for Beginners
This simple playing also helps people to improve their strength and stamina. When you run your board, you must push on the ground and make some tricks with your board. You have to carve on your board.
In this way, a longboard rider controls each of his body parts, and it ensures the good practice of them. The Proper movements of your body parts supply your lung oxygen and give freshness to all your activities. You will see the improvement of your stamina and endurance very soon.
Hand and Eye Coordination Skill
Riding a longboard is really easy but riding with different tricks is not so easy. Long time practice is required for this skill. The professional riders simply perform different styles and tricks when on their board. Just think that you are riding at a high speed on any downhill and need a quick turn. In this situation professional always use perfect carving tricks by placing their hand on the ground.
They make some special movements to control their body and the board. You also need a perfect vision to make the flawless carving. These kinds of practice help riders to improve the eyes and also improve their hand’s skill.
Longboarding is also good for increasing the body strength. Suck type of process helps people to learn how to make adventure and how to endurance the pressure. At the first time, any rider must have to do some struggle for making balance on the board. Sometimes they fall down and could be could be injured.
The internal movement of the muscle and hard practice with pain builds a good base to withstand any difficult situation. It makes your body stronger than the past. Different kinds of physical activities help the riders to maintain a strong and sound health.
Flexibility in Your Muscles
Longboarding is also a form of exercise which improves the flexibility of your body. When you start to ride your longboard you must need to hold some certain position to ride your longboard smoothly. Your muscle has to do some extra work for controlling your board under your feet.
When you hold your position to make it controversial you have to maintain a healthy breathing equilibrium, which helps you for breathing well and putting your muscle into group work. These kinds of tasks will make your body parts flexible and active.